The 1@1 Minute for Women’s Equality is a small, simple action to unite us beyond boundaries, borders and bigotry.
On Jan. 19, 2019 at 1pm EST, women and allies everywhere will focus on connecting all women’s struggles together with greater empathy and for greater power. On the anniversary of the day when people everywhere gathered for equal rights, equal opportunities and equal representation for women and girls, we will link for the third year in a row with all who want the same but may not be at liberty to attend a march.
STUFF YOU CAN USE FOR YOUR 1@1 MINUTE
- About the 1@1 Minute (1-pager)
- Image to post on social media (help us spread the word!)
- Suggested script for the 1@1 Minute at your march (download)
- We Must March Against Kakocracy (Aly’s article on the effects on women of the Trump shutdown)
We’re grateful to MARCH ON for helping promote this year’s 1@1 Minute, with the goal of reaching everyone who wants to be a part of the growing momentum toward women’s equality.
TAKE A MINUTE, THEN TAKE ACTION!
Important 1-minute actions to take right now:
• Tell your friends in Virginia to call their General Assembly in support of the ERA. VAratifyERA.org
• Share and amplify stories of people affected by the government shutdown using #ShutdownStories.
• Fight back against the anti-choice crusade happening right now. Click here to see if your local government is doing enough. #VOTEPROCHOICE
1@1 HAS UNITED OVER 1 MILLION PEOPLE IN A MINUTE FOR WOMEN’S EQUALITY
1@1 began after the shocking result of the 2016 election and the subsequent announcement of the Women’s March. It became clear that many women who needed the energy of the march would be unable to attend, so we devised a way to bring the march to everyone. On Jan. 21, 2017 at 1 PM EST, 500,000+ people around the world united for the 1@1 MINUTE OF SILENCE FOR WOMEN’S EQUALITY (renamed the 1@1 MINUTE FOR WOMEN’S EQUALITY in 2019), after Gloria Steinem invited all to join from the stage of the Women’s March in DC. Another half a million people united on Jan. 20, 2018 for the second 1@1 Minute.
In addition to these global events, 1@1 released weekly 1-minute videos featuring inspiring changemakers in the advancement of women’s equality.
Team 1@1 continues to work on programs that support global, national and local progress heading into the 2020 election and beyond.
WEEKLY 1-MINUTE VIDEOS FROM INSPIRING CHANGEMAKERS
The 1@1 women’s equality video project was a much-needed platform to keep the energy of the 1@1 Minute going. We believe the issues championed by women are comprehensive in scope and vital to all Americans. We delivered 1-minute videos each week from compelling activists, thought leaders, and powerhouse women. We also created community events that connected and motivated. Designed to stave off burnout and complacency, 1@1 continues to be a bite-size chunk of revolution for the overwhelmed.